Skip to main content

Environmental Filming and Photography Permit


The service is for those who are looking to produce films or take photographs within environmentally protected areas of the Republic of Botswana. These include all National Parks and Game Reserves. Prospective filmmakers may apply either directly or through a registered Film-fixer. All successful applicants will be required to sign a Memorandum of Agreement (MoA) with the Government of Botswana before a permit can be issued. In cases where a Film-fixer submitted the application, the MoA must be signed by the filmmaker themselves, not the fixer.

Who is eligible?

Citizens and non-citizens Film makers, photographers and companies

How do I get this service?
  • Download, complete and submit the Filming Application form
  • The Filming Approval Panel (FAP) reviews the application and makes a recommendation
  • After both parties have signed the Memorandum(MoA) of Agreement, the filming permit will be processed and then dispatched to the applicant, along with a copy of the signed MoA
What supporting documents are required?
  • Citizens - Certified copy of valid national identity card (Omang)
  • Non-Citizens - Certified copy of valid Passport
How long will this service take?

Thirty (30) working days

How much does it cost?

Film Permit fees

Non-Citizens    BWP 10,000.00

BWP 5,000.00


BWP 5,000.00

Photography Permit Fees

Non-Citizens       BWP 1,000.00
Residents Free
Citizens Free
    Where can I get more information on this Service

    Research and Development Unit

    Plot 13064, Government Enclave



    Tel. (+267) 391 4955 /364 7900

    Fax. (+267) 3165362

    Email: mentpermits [at] (mentpermits[at]gov[dot]bw)

    Opening Hours: 07:30 to 12:45 and 13:45 to 16:30, Monday to Friday, except on Public Holidays and Weekends.

    Give Us Feedback