Skip to main content

Provision of Exemption Certificates in lieu of Residence Permits


Members of the diplomatic community accredited to the Republic of Botswana shall be issued with an exemption certificate in lieu of a residence permit.

The department shall facilitate issuance of exemption certificates for members of family forming part of the household of the diplomatic agent as follows:

  • ‚ÄčExemption Certificates
    Family members that include spouse and children under the age of 18 are issued with exemption certificates. In addition to a Note Verbale, Application for Exemption Certificate copy of passport and two passport sized photographs, the application for an exemption certificate for spouse and children below 18 years of age shall also be accompanied by a copy of a marriage certificate and birth certificate respectively.
  • Residence Permits
    Family members that include children over the age of 18 and less than 25, dependent children over the age of 25 and dependent parents over the age of 65 shall be issued with Residence Permits as follows.  
Who is eligible?

Members of diplomatic community

How do I get this service?
  • Applications are made, through a Note Verbale, to the Ministry of International Affairs and Cooperation (Department of Protocol and Consular Affairs), which facilitates the processing of an Application for Exemption Certificate.
  • The exemption certificate is issued by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship.
What supporting documents are required?
  • A Note Verbale accompanied by completed an application form,
  • Copy of passport and two passport sized photographs.
How long will this service take?


How much does it cost?

No cost

Where can I get more information on this Service

Ministry of International Affairs and Cooperation
Private Bag 00368 
Government Enclave
Tel. (+267) 3600700 / (+267) 3600744
Fax. (+267) 3973067 / (+267) 3974516
Email. miacprotocol [at] (miacprotocol[at]gov[dot]bw)

Give Us Feedback