The Certificate of Naturalization can be issued to investors, employees, students, immigrants and dependents to give them the same rights as all citizens of Botswana.
All foreigners who have resided in Botswana for an aggregate period of not less than ten years and have resided in Botswana for a continuous period of twelve months immediately preceding the date of application.
In order to access this service, applicants must complete the following steps.
- Complete Form L “Certificate for Naturalization” and submit it along with a police report form and fees to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (address provided below).
- Acknowledgement of receipt of application will be sent to the applicant through mail.
- After the application has been processed, the applicant will receive a letter in the mail inviting them for an interview.
- If your application is successful, letters requesting you to renounce your foreign citizenship will be sent to you via mail. You will be issued with a certificate of naturalization after you have renounced your foreign citizenship.
- If your application is rejected a rejection letter will be sent to you via mail. You can re-apply if you wish. (there is no time restriction for re-submission).
Requirements applicable to all
- Completed Certificate for Naturalization (Form L)
- Two recent coloured passport size photos
- Two certified copies of valid Botswana residence permit
- Completed set of police report forms
- Certified copy of birth certificate
- Certified copy of marriage certificate and copy of spouse’s citizenship status (if applicable)
- Certified copies of applicant’s educational qualifications (if married, also provide spouse’s educational qualifications)
- Copy of Curriculum Vitae
Additional Requirements for Student
- Admission letter from the educational institution
- Proof of payment of tuition
Additional Requirements for Dependents and Immigrants
Proof of parents’ citizenship status
Additional Requirements for Employees
- Value of property owned.
- Employment contract
Additional Requirements for Investors
Those operating businesses should state:
- Name of business.
- Location of business.
- Service provided.
- Number of employees hired.
- Number of shares held.
- Value of property owned or copy of lease agreement.
- Type of trading license held.
- Tax return for the past year.
Approximately one year.
The cost is BWP1000.00 for each applicant.
All Regional Immigration Offices, District Immigration Offices and Missions Abroad.
Department of Immigration and Citizenship
Ministry of Nationality, Immigration and Gender Affairs
Tel. (+267) 361 1300
Toll Free. 0800 600 777
Opening hours: 7:30 to 12:45, and 13:45 to 16:30, Monday to Friday, except public holidays.