An individual who meet the requirements for naturalization as a foreign spouse can apply for a Certificate of Naturalization and become a Botswana citizen.
All foreigners who are married to citizens of Botswana and have resided in Botswana for a period of at least five years.
In order to access this service, applicants must complete the following steps.
- The applicant must have applied for a declaration of intention to make an application for a certificate of naturalization (spouse of a citizen)-form K.
- Complete and Submit Form N “Certificate of Naturalization by Foreign Spouse)” along with required documents and fees listed below.
- After the application is received, you will be publicized in the Government Gazzette to give those who are against your citizenship application to voice out their concerns.
- The office will send you a letter via post inviting you for a citizenship interview.
- If your application is rejected, a rejection letter will be sent to you by mail.
- If your application is successful, letters requesting you to renounce your foreign citizenship will be sent to you by mail.
- Two recent coloured passport size photos.
- Form M supplement.
- Completed police report form.
- Certified copy of valid residence permit.
- Certified copy of marriage certificate.
- Certified copy of spouse’s valid national identity card (Omang).
- Maturity letter.
- Certified copy of valid passport.
Approximately one year.
The cost is BWP250.00.
All Regional Immigration Offices, District Immigration Offices and Missions Abroad.
Department of Immigration and Citizenship
Ministry of Nationality, Immigration and Gender Affairs
Tel. (+267) 361 1300
Toll Free. 0800 600 77
Opening hours: 7:30 to 12:45, and 13:45 to 16:30, Monday to Friday, except public holidays.