If any principal registration officer has reason to believe that any voter enrolled in any section of an existing roll in his constituency is not, or is no longer, entitled to registration in respect of the polling station to which that registration relates, he shall send to that voter written Notice of Cancellation in Form H. The form will state the grounds on which he proposes to cancel the voter's registration in respect of that polling station. Unless the voter successfully appeals the cancellation, the voter's registration in that polling station will be cancelled and his name struck off the roll.
Citizens 18 years and over who are/were registered to vote and who have received a Notice of Cancellation (Form H).
In order to launch an appeal, follow the steps below:
- Complete the Appeal against Cancellation by Principal Registration Officer (Form I)
- Within 14 days of receiving the Notice of Cancellation (Form H), deliver the completed Form I to the Office of the Principal Registration Officer who issued the Notice of Cancellation.
- The Principal Registration Officer will arrange for the appeal to be heard by a Magistrate and will notify you of the date and location for the hearing. The decision of the Magistrate is final and cannot be appealed further.
- If the appeal is successful, your name will remain on the voter’s roll and your Voters Registration Card (Form B) will not be cancelled.
Should the appeal not be successful, the voter’s name will be deleted from the roll. The voter will also be required to surrender their Voter’s Registration card to the Principal Registration Officer.
- Appeal against Cancellation by Principal Registration Officer (Form I)
- Voter’s Registration Card (Form B)
- National Identification card (Omang)
Once the appeal has been delivered to the Principal Registration Officer, the appeal process is expected to be completed within approximately three(3) months.
There is no cost.
Please contact the office listed below:
Independent Electoral Commission
Private Bag 00284
Phone: (+267) 361 2400
Toll free No: 0800 600 710
Fax: (+267) 3900581/3905205/3190889
Website: www.iec.gov.bw ,
Facebook: IEC Botswana
Email: iec_info [at] gov.bw (iec_info[at]gov[dot]bw)
Opening hours: 07:30 to 12:45 and 13:45 to 16:30 Monday to Friday, except public holidays.
Additional information can also be obtained in the Electoral Act.