Skip to main content

Trial of Civil and Criminal Cases at the Tribal Court (Kgotla)


All civil and criminal cases that fall within the tribal court’s warrant jurisdiction may be tried at the customary court or Kgotla, as may be agreed to by the accused or defendant.  

A list of offences that the tribal court (kgotla) addresses can be accessed at any Kgotla office.

Who is eligible?

Any person or business legally present and operating in Botswana is eligible for this service. 

How do I get this service?

The steps involved in this process are as follows:

  •  ​​Civil matters must be reported to the Kgotla directly.  
  • The complaints will be registered and a date will be set for the hearing of their cases where both the plaintiff and the defendant should be present before the Kgosi for the matter to be solved. 
  • Criminal matters must be reported directly to the Botswana Police. Where they would then determine whether the case should be tried at the customary court or magistrate court and advised accordingly. 
What supporting documents are required?
  • A valid National Identity Card (Omang or passport).
  • Residence Permit (expatriates).
  • Business registration documents (businesses).
  • Tax clearance certificate (if payment must be received).
How long will this service take?

This varies dependent upon the case being tried.

How much does it cost?

This service is free of charge.

Where can I get more information on this Service

Any ward Kgotla or main Kgotla in the nearest area. ​

Give Us Feedback