The driving licence is valid for a period of five (5) years. Drivers are given a provision of renewing the licence three (3) months before expiry date. Failure to renew the licence card will lead to penalties.
Botswana driving licence cardholders.
- Download and complete the DL 1 - Botswana Driving Licence Application form. Please note that the application form is also available at the Enquiries Desk at any of the offices of the Department of Road Transport and Safety.
- In the case of persons who are 65 years or older or applying for a class C, C1, EC or EC1 licence, download and complete Health Declaration form (DL31) .
- Go to the eye screening office for eye examination. In the case of applicants with eyesight challenges, the Registration and Licensing Officer would refer them to be seen by an external eye specialist for further testing. Only after the external eye specialist recommends that the driving licence application process be continued should the applicants return to the Registration and Licensing Officer with the results and recommendations
- Submit completed documents to the Registration and licensing Officer.
- Pay the required fee to Registration and Licensing Officer, have photograph taken and receive newly-issued driving licence card.
- Certified copy of valid National Identify card (Omang)
- Certified copy of Passport
- Certified copy of Exemption certificate or Residence and Work permit
- Refugee Identification Card (Refugees)
- Renewal cost is P91.00.
- Daily penalty fee of BWP9.00 (excluding public holidays and weekend) for renewals after the expiration date, up to a maximum of BWP1000.00.
Department of Road Transport and Safety Offices across the country.Opening hours are from 07:30 to 16:30, Monday to Friday, except public holidays.
Department of Road Transport and Safety
Botswana Savings Bank Building
Private Bag 0054
Tel. (267) 368-8600
Email: mtcpro [at] gov.bw