Skip to main content

Access Control to Road Reserve Space (Wayleave)


This involves requesting access into the road infrastructure network for the following services;

  • regularisation for existing accesses being upgraded. 
  • routing/locating service infrastructure within the road reserve ( for example ; communication, power, water & sanitation)
  • works within the road reserve (parking facilities, bus stops & advertising space).
Who is eligible?
  • Citizens and non-citizens
  • Local Authorities
  • Government Departments
  • Private Institutions
  • Businesses
How do I get this service?
  • Submit  an application letter and supporting documents to any of the Department of Roads offices across the country. 
  •  Assessment of applicant's drawings versus design specifications to check if they comply with the Botswana Roads Design Manual ( BDRM).
  • The Department will contact the applicant for site inspection with submitted engineering drawings for feasibility.
  • The applicant will be provided with pre-feasibility inspections report.
  • If satisfactory, recommendations are forwarded to the Ministry of Transport and Communications for approval.
  • Once approved by the ministry, pay the prescribed fee.
  • Issuance of permit . 
What supporting documents are required?
  • Proof of use of land for which access is sought.
  • Engineering drawings (A1 size) capturing details of the following;
  • Accesses in close proximity ( road junctions)
  • Drainage facilities in proximity
  • Utilities which will be affected or in close proximity (power lines, fiber optic cables,  underground  water pipes and sewer lines).
  • Cross sectional details of proposed access/service trench.
  • Expected movement into and within the property/reserve.
  • Locality sketch plan detailing exact location of property, showing road from which access is required, that is, major highway or location of infrastructure routing/crossing (in case of services).
How long will this service take?

Thirty (30)  working days.

How much does it cost?
  • Minor access to individual farms & residential plots - BWP100.00 
  • Access to business premises - BWP600.00 
  • Cutting of tarred road surface & thrust boring - BWP1000.00 
  • Utility/service rental on road reserve - BWP0.05/linear meter/year
Where can I obtain this service?

Visit any of the Department of Roads offices across the country to access the service or Department of Roads Headquarters, West Gate mall.

Opening hours are from 07:30 to 16:30, Monday to Friday, except public holidays.

Where can I get more information on this Service

Public Relations Office

Department of Roads

Ministry of Transport and Communications

Private Bag 0026



Tel. (+267) 3913511

Fax. (+267) 3915952

Toll Free. 17779

Email. mtcpro [at]


Give Us Feedback