The Tour Operation Permit is issued to operators who provide transport services to tourists for hire or reward.
Please note that this type of permit can only be issued to operators who have been approved by the Department of Tourism.
- Citizens and non-citizens
- Locally registered companies.
- Download and complete Form RTS 1 - Application for Initial Grand or Amendment or Renewal of Road Transport Permit and submit with supporting documents to the Registration and Licensing officer at any permit-issuing Department of Road Transport and Safety office for approval.
- Pay the application fee of BWP130.00 to the Registration and Licensing Officer.
- First-time applicants attend a Transport Advisory Board hearing at the appointed time. It is at this point that the decision would be made.
- Approved first-time applicants and renewal applicants must take the vehicle to the Transport Inspectors for inspection.
- If inspection is failed, applicants must comply with Inspector's instructions to rectify any vehicle issues that may have caused the failure and reapply.
- Applicants whose vehicles pass the inspection are issued inspection certificates.
- Take inspection certificate and all of the other supporting documents to the Registration and Licensing Officer and pay permit fee.
- Once fee is paid, the permit would be issued.
- Copy of the registration book (if available) otherwise proof of financial ability.
- Copy of a valid roadworthiness certificate.
- Certified copy of National Identity Card of applicant.
- Copy of a valid tourism license.
- Copy of the vehicle's registration document (blue book).
- Copy of vehicle's valid Roadworthiness Certificate (upon certificate collection).
- Vehicle Inspection Certificate (only if permit application is approved by the board).
- Copy of Certificate of Incorporation (companies).
- Copy of one director's National Identity Card (companies).
- Copy of Shareholder's Certificates (companies).
- Copy of business proposal (companies).
- Expired permit (renewals).
- Expired token (renewals)
39 working days.
- Mini bus BWP 299.00
- Bus BWP 403.00
Department of Road Transport and Safety Offices - Permit issuing offices
- Gaborone Old Supplies Office
- Selebi Phikwe
Opening hours are from 07:30 to 16:30, Monday to Friday, except public holidays.
Department of Road Transport and Safety
Botswana Savings Bank Building
Private Bag 0054
Tel. (267) 368-8600
Email: mtcpro [at] gov.bw