Skip to main content

School Bus Permit


Issued to operators who transport school children for hire or reward.

Who is eligible?
  • Citizen or resident that is the owner of a passenger vehicle.
  • Local-registered business.
How do I get this service?
  • Download and complete Form RTS 1 - Application for Initial Grand or Amendment or Renewal of Road Transport Permit and submit along with supporting documents to any permit - issuing Department of Road Transport and Safety office for approval.
  • Pay the application fee of BWP130.00 to the Registration and licensing officer.
  • First-time applicants attend a Transport advisory board hearing at the appointed time.  It is at this point that the decision would be made.
  •  Approved first-time applicants and renewal applicants must take the vehicle to the Transport Inspectors for inspection.  If inspection is failed, applicants must comply with Inspector's instructions to rectify any vehicle issues that may have caused the failure and re-apply.  
  • Applicants' whose vehicles pass the inspection are issued inspection certificates.
  • Take Inspection certificate and all of the other supporting documents to the Registration and licensing officer and pay permit fee.  
  • Once fee is paid, the permit would be issued. 
What supporting documents are required?
  • Copy of a valid roadworthiness certificate
  • Certified copy of valid Identity Document of applicant.
  • If company, a  copy of certificate of incorporation & shareholder’s certificate
  • List of students
  • Authorization letter from the school administration.
  • Copy of the vehicle's registration document (blue book).
  • Copy of vehicle's valid Roadworthiness Certificate (upon collection of certificate).
  • Vehicle Inspection Certificate (only if permit application is approved by the board).
  • Copy of Certificate of Incorporation (companies).
  • Copy of one director's  certified National ID (companies).
  • Copy of Shareholder's Certificates (companies).
  • Copy of business proposal (companies).
  • Expired permit (renewals).
  • Expired token (renewals). 
How long will this service take?

39 working days.

How much does it cost?
  • Application fee: BWP 130.00
  • Mini bus: BWP 299.00
  • Bus: BWP 403.00
  • Appeals Fee: BWP200.00
  • Duplicate documents (permit and token) BWP 325.00
  • Penalty for late renewal BWP26.00 per day excluding public holidays and weekend
Where can I obtain this service?

Department of  Road Transport and Safety  Offices - Permit issuing offices

  • Gaborone Old Supplies Office
  • Francistown
  • Ghanzi
  • Lobatse
  • Kanye
  • Molepolole
  • Mahalapye
  • Tsabong
  • Kasane
  • Maun 
  • Selebi Phikwe
  • Serowe
  • Palapye
Where can I get more information on this Service

Public Relations Unit

Department of Road Transport and Safety

Tshomarelo House

Botswana Savings Bank Building

Private Bag 0054



Tel. (267) 368-8600

Fax. (267) 3914338
Email. mtcpro [at]

Toll Free Number: 17779

Give Us Feedback