The Ministry of Infrastructure and Housing Development (MIH) was established in October 2016 as a result of the re-organisation of Government portfolio responsibilities. The Ministry previously operated as the Ministry of Infrastructure Science and Technology (MIST) made up of Department of Building and Engineering Services, (DBES) Radiation Protection Inspectorate (RPI) and Department of Research Science and Technology (DRST) and two parastatals, Botswana Institute of Technology Research & Innovation (BITRI) and Botswana Innovation Hub (BIH).
MIST ceased to exist as a result of this re-organisation as DRST and RPI together with the two parastatals, BIH and BITRI were transferred to the newly established, Ministry of Tertiary Education Research Science and Technology (MOTE).
The remaining functions, i.e. DBES and Department of Corporate Services were augmented with the housing function, comprising the Department of Housing together with its parastatal, Botswana Housing Corporation (BHC) from the then Ministry of Lands & Housing to form Ministry of Infrastructure and Housing Development (MIH), where Infrastructure Development relates to construction and maintenance of government buildings while Housing Development is mainly to do with facilitating citizens to have access to housing or shelter by promoting home ownership through affordable housing schemes. The Ministry is currently undergoing restructuring which has seen the DBES ceasing to exist and new departments being created as indicated in the section on departments.
Therefore, the mandate of MIH primarily is to provide policy direction in the development of sound and quality built infrastructure; and promotion of dignified livelihood on one hand and creation of an enabling environment for others to undertake built infrastructure development, on the other. To enhance the latter, three professional regulatory bodies were established, namely Engineers Registration Board (ERB), Architects Registration Council (ARC) and Quantity Surveyors Registration Council (QSRC). These bodies, collectively level the ground for the construction industry to deliver the quality infrastructure alluded to above, through registration/accreditation of professionals in their respective construction disciplines.
- Department of Project and Infrastructure Planning
- Department of Infrastructure Development
- Department of Facilities Management
- Department of Policy Research & Development, Monitoring and Evaluation
- Department of Housing
- Department of Corporate Services
Ministry of Infrastructure and Housing Development
Botswana Housing Corporation (BHC) www.bhc.bw
Department of Project and Infrastructure Planning
This represents the pre contract / planning stage in project management. It guides the delivery of pre-design services, design and documentation as well as procurement of contractors and consultants who deliver the projects. It achieves this by:
- Confirming availability of funds, land and services such as water, sewer, electricity, access roads among others
- Ascertaining land suitability (Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) or Environmental Management Plan (EMP), topographical and geotechnical surveys).
- Development of designs that conform to local (BOBS) and international (SANS, BS, IEEE e.t.c) standards for government buildings and facilities.
- Identify relevant areas of research and share with Department of Policy Research and Development, Monitoring & Evaluation to undertake research and advise accordingly.
- Procurement of service providers and generation of contracts that govern the delivery of projects.
Department of Infrastructure Development
This is the post contract/ implementation stage in project management. The department is mainly responsible for facilitating the actual construction, guided by the approved designs developed at the Department of Project and Infrastructure Planning. It achieves this through:
- Commissioning of project and site handover to Contractors awarded projects at the Planning Department.
- Inter-ministerial coordination in the delivery of construction projects below P100m to ascertain that they are in line with applicable policies, standards and procedures.
- Provide regular supervision of contractors to ensure delivery of projects in time, budget and in accordance with specification and scope of works.
- Management of contracts between government and service providers.
- Delivery of projects valued above P100m in partnership with stakeholders.
- Close out all completed projects and prepare End of Activity Reports in line with PPAD Act.
- Identify relevant areas of research and share with Department of Policy Research and Development, Monitoring and Evaluation to undertake research and advice accordingly.
Department of Facilities Management
This department is responsible for the general upkeep of government buildings and facilities and it achieves this through the following key activities:
- Facilitating the maintenance of all buildings and equipment in accordance with the operations and maintenance manuals from the Department of Infrastructure Development.
- Inter-ministerial coordination in the maintenance and general upkeep of government buildings in line with relevant policies and guidelines to ensure that government facilities are functional and habitable at all times.
- Undertaking of conditions surveys to determine the state of repair for Government buildings and facilities as well as cost associated with such repairs and avail information to respective Ministries.
- Identify relevant areas of research and share with the Department of Policy Research and Development, Monitoring & Evaluation to undertake research and advice accordingly.
- Monitoring implementation of Government Policy Reform 2015 , 3(b): Affirmative Action in favour of youth.
To facilitate this initiative, the Ministry has developed a database for youth contractors and individual youth with vocational skills and the requirements for registration in the database are:
- Company profile
- PPADB certificate
- Copy of school certificate
- Curriculum Vitae
- Copy of tax clearance
- Any other supporting documents for the company
- Particulars for staff employed
- Bank letter
Individuals with vocational skills
- Copy of school certificate
- Copy of national identity card (Omang)
- Curriculum Vitae
Department of Policy Research and Development, Monitoring & Evaluation
This department deals with development and review of policies and legislative framework that facilitates implementation of construction and maintenance of Government buildings in line with the industry standards. It achieves this through the following:
- Conducting research on latest trends in infrastructure and housing related issues and initiating policy review to keep pace with the developments in consultation with relevant departments.
- Developing infrastructure and housing policies, strategies and legal framework.
- Researching on innovative ways of construction and advising the Ministry appropriately.
- Developing monitoring tools for all Ministry policies and standards to facilitate for monitoring compliance and ultimately evaluation of the standards.
Department of Housing
The department of Housing exists primarily to facilitate implementation of the National Policy on Housing which aspires for decent housing for all, in partnership with stakeholders.
- Facilitating the formulation and implementation of the National Policy on Housing and housing programmes.
- Facilitating provision of habitable basic shelter.
- Managing and ensuring the upkeep of housing accommodation for central government employees.
- Conducting housing needs assessment to determine the demand for housing in Botswana.
Department of Corporate Services
It exists to coordinate a wide range of administrative resources and all support services to enable the Ministry to deliver on its mandate. It facilitates cordial co-existence of all departments to operate in an orderly, consistent and professional manner for efficient utilisation of resources.
It achieves its mandate through the following key functions:
- Financial processing and reporting (Accounting and procurement as well as supply transaction processing).
- Human Resources Management.
- Administration and Office Operations.
- Public Service Reforms.
- Safety Health and Environment (Wellness issues).
- Development planning.
- Information Technology (IT).
- Corporate communications (Information management and dissemination).
- Ministerial Tender Committee Secretariat.
- Internal audit.
- Youth issues.
- Corruption prevention coordination.
Botswana Housing Corporation (BHC)
This is an arm of government that was set up to provide affordable housing to Batswana. It is a statutory corporation established by an Act of Parliament, Act 75/70 (CAP 74:03) with a mandate to provide for the housing, office and other building needs of government and local authorities. It also undertakes, carries out, and makes arrangements for others to carry out building schemes in Botswana.
Tel no. (+267) 360 5100
Fax no. (+267) 3952070
Ministry statutory bodies
Architects Registration Council (ARC)
It exists to provide for the registration of Architects; for regulation of the practice of architecture and for matters incidental thereto. For more information contact the following:
Tel no. (+267) 3951830
Fax no. (+267) 3913730
Engineers Registration Board (ERB)
It exists to provide for the registration of Engineers;for regulation of the practice of engineering and for matters incidental thereto. For more information contact the following:
Tel no. (+267) 391 4446
fax no. (+267) 3973626
Quantity Surveyors Registration Council (QSRC)
It exists to provide for the registration of Quantity Surveyors; for regulation of the practice of quantity surveying and matters incidental thereto. For more information contact the following:
Tel no. (+267) 3956170
Fax no. (+267) 3956178
Building Regulations Board (BRB)
It exists to attend to appeals from stakeholders emanating from implementation of the Building Control Act and its Regulations. For more information contact the following:
Tel no. (+267) 365 4200
Fax no. (+267) 391 0182
Ministry of Infrastructure and Housing Development
Fairgrounds Office Park, Plot 61923
Private Bag 007
Phone : 3958500
Fax : 3913303
Opening hours: 7:30 am to 12:45 pm and 13:45 pm to 16:30 pm, Monday to Friday, except on public holidays.