Skip to main content

Research Permit Application


The research permit is a permission granted in the form of a written document to any individual or group of people who wish to conduct research in the area related to the mandate of the Ministry.

Who is eligible?

All citizens and non-citizens with a valid visa are eligible for this service.

How do I get this service?

In order to access this service, applicants must complete the following steps.

  • Apply for a research permit indicating the duration required
  • Submit to the Ministry for assessment
  • Outcome will be sent by mail

Note: Do not start the research before the research permit is issued.

What supporting documents are required?
  • Letter of endorsement from the applicant's sponsoring institution and/or funding agency
  • Detailed curriculum vitae of applicant
  • Non-citizens are required under the Immigration Act to obtain a temporary residence permit prior to arrival in Botswana
How long will this service take?

Approximately one (1) month to complete.

How much does it cost?

There are no costs.

Where can I obtain this service?

Ministry of Nationality, Immigration and Gender Affairs

Corporate Services

Public Relations Unit

Head Office, Block 8, Government Enclave

Khama Crescent

Gaborone, Botswana

Private Bag 002

Tel. (+267) 3611110 / 361 1115 /3611234

Toll free Number: 0800 600 777


Opening hours: 7:30 to 12:45, and 13:45 to 16:30, Monday to Friday, except public holidays.

Give Us Feedback