Skip to main content

Application for Research Permit


Individuals wishing to conduct research in Botswana must first apply for a research permit. This Permit ensures that information on Botswana is not misrepresented and it also assists in monitoring the kind of research done in the country. Individuals residing outside the country should submit their application documents at least one month before their intended travel to Botswana.

Who is eligible?

Citizens and non-citizens wishing to undertake research in Botswana.

How do I get this service?

Download, complete and submit the Research Permit Application Form with the relevant supporting documents.

What supporting documents are required?
  • A letter of endorsement from the applicant’s sponsoring institution and/or funding agency.
  • If the applicant is not affiliated to any institution, the endorsement should come from a person of professional standing in the field of the applicant’s discipline, supporting the application and providing assurance that the research will conform to these guidelines.
  • Detailed curriculum vitae for all researchers (including passport particulars).
  • Research document or proposal.
How long will this service take?

Ten (10) working days.

How much does it cost?

No cost.

Where can I obtain this service?

The Permit can be taken from the Ministry or Department that your Research is based on.

Where can I get more information on this Service

Public Relations office

Office of the President

Government Enclave

Private Bag 001




Tel. (+267) 369 8516 / 395 0873

Email: op-pr-office [at] (op-pr-office[at]gov[dot]bw)

Opening hours: 07:30 to 12:45 then 13:45 to 16:30, Monday to Friday except, public holidays

Give Us Feedback