Skip to main content

Planning Permission


All land development projects must go through the planning permission process and receive approval from Ministry of Local Government Planning authorities before they can begin.The application will be reviewed by the local authority and may involve consultation with other authorities or ministries depending on the nature of the proposal. After such review the application will be taken to the Physical Planning committee for a decision.

Appeals of decisions by the Planning Authorities may be filed with the Land Tribunal.

Land development projects but are not limited to:

  • Developments which conform to the Development Plan and Development Control Code as established by local Planning Authorities;

  1. residential

  2. commercial

  3. industrial

  4. civic and community

  5. recreation and open space

  6. mixed use

  7. Changes of land use;

  • Subdivisions;

  1. Tree preservations and special buildings preservation;

  2. Change of land use; and

  3. Display of advertisement signs

Who is eligible?

Applications are only accepted from the owners of the property to be developed or their authorized representative.

How do I get this service?
  • Complete and submit the application form for planning permission, submit with supporting document in person at the office of the planning authority responsible for the area/settlement where the development is to take place.
  • You will be notified in writing by the Secretary of the Physical Planning Committee of the local authority regarding the decision made regarding the application.
  • Applications for planning permission are submitted through the planning authority operating in the area/settlement where the development of land is to take place. Depending on the type of application, consultation with other agencies such as the Water Utilities Corporation, Botswana Power Corporation, Department of Environmental Affairs or the Department of Surveys and Mapping may be necessary prior to submitting to the Planning Authority.
What supporting documents are required?
  • Proof of land ownership e.g. Certificate, Title Deed or Lease

  • Copy of a valid National Identity card (Omang) for citizens

  • Passport (non-citizens)

  • Location map

  • Site plan and other sketches and diagrams

How long will this service take?

 One (1) month

How much does it cost?

  • The fees, payable in cash, point of sales card, or certified cheques(pre-approved entities only)vary per local authority and type of development proposed.
  • Please speak to the appropriate Planning Authority regarding fees. 
Where can I get more information on this Service

Local Authorities:

  • Gaborone City Council

  • City of Francistown council

  • Lobatse Town Council

  • Sowa Town Council

  • Selebi Phikwe Town Council

  • Jwaneng Town Council

  • Kgatleng District Council

  • Kweneng District Council

  • Kgalagadi District Council

  • Central District Council

  • Chobe District Council

  • Ghanzi District Council

  • North-East District Council

  • North-West District Council

  • Southern District Council

  • South-East District Council

Give Us Feedback