Skip to main content

Allocation of Tribal Land


Citizens  may apply for un-allocated tribal land in any tribal territory/area in Botswana. Allocation of the land is administered by the twelve (12) Main Land Boards of the Ministry of Land Management, Water and Sanitation Services and their forty one (41) Subordinate Land Boards. Applicants who are granted land will receive a Certificate of Customary Grant as evidence of their right to the land specified.

Who is eligible?

All citizens of Botswana aged 18 years and over are eligible to apply for available tribal land in any tribal territory or area in Botswana.

How do I get this service?
  • Where a waiting list exists plots, will be allocated to applicants who qualify for allocation or and when there is land available for allocation, citizens will be informed by the Land Boards through advertising on local media and through public forums such as Kgotla meetings. These announcements will include details on the land that is available and the period when applications will be accepted.
  • Complete the (MLH).Land Application Form - Application for customary Land Rights Form and submit the completed form along with the required supporting documentation (as listed below) to the appropriate Land Board or Sub Land Board office during the period specified in the announcement. 
  • Applicants will be informed of the result of their application by mail or telephone.
What supporting documents are required?

Certified copy of a valid National Identity Card (Omang).

How long will this service take?

The allocation process will be complete within three (3) months of the date of the land becoming available for allocation.

How much does it cost?

No fees

Where can I obtain this service?
  • Contact any Land Board or Sub Land Board offices or
  • Call the Ministry of Land Management, Water and Sanitation Services Toll Free Number 0800 600 737
  • Opening hours: 07:30 to 12:45 and 13:45 to 16:30, Monday to Friday, except public holidays.

Give Us Feedback