This intervention occurs when there is a dispute or disagreement on labour related matters between an employer and an employee or employees or employees’ representatives. Referrals are to be made within thirty (30) days of the occurrence of the Trade Dispute.
An aggrieved employee or employer
- Registration and scheduling of alleged dispute.
- Attend mediation meeting.
- If applicant fails to appear for hearing, the dispute is dismissed or if good cause shown then the dismissal is reversed and matter is mediated.
- If respondent fails to appear for mediation then the default award is issued.
- If no response to default award within 30 days, default award is referred to Commissioner of Labour and Social Security for enforcement.
- If responded to and good cause shown, default award is reversed and mediation resumes.
1. If referral outside 30 days
- Application for condonation of late referral.
- If condonation is denied dispute referred to Industrial Court.
- If condonation is granted mediation resumes.
2. If parties agree settlement certificate is issued
- If settlement certificate is honoured matter is closed.
- If settlement is not honoured, dispute is referred to Commissioner of Labour for enforcement.
3. Failure to settle
- Issuance of advisory award.
- Issuance of certificate of failure to settle.
- Referral to Industrial Court if it is dispute of right.
- Referral to arbitration if dispute of interest and parties agree.
4. Referral to industrial action if dispute of interest and not essential service
- Receipt of notification to strike or lock out.
- Convene meeting to draw strike/lockout rules.
- Undertake industrial action
What supporting documents are required?
- Justification for referral
- Proof of service
Thirty (30) working days
District Contact Numbers
Department of Labour and Social Security
|Gaborone Regional Labour Office I
Tel. (+267) 3971406
|Gaborone Regional Labour Office II
Tel. (+267) 3956019
|Francistown Regional Labour Office
Tel. (+267) 2416933
|Lobatse Regional Labour Office
Tel. (+267) 5332569
|Maun Regional Labour Office
Tel. (+267) 68622705/2418
|Selibe Phikwe Regional Labour Office
Tel. (+267) 2611598
|Serowe Regional Labour Office
Tel. (+267) 4632579
|Kasane Regional Labour Office
Tel. (+267) 6250216
Opening hours: 7:30 am to 12:45 and 13:45 to 16:30, Monday to Friday, except public holidays.