Individual farmers and groups can be assisted with purchasing of pesticides, fertilizers, packaging material, seedlings and seeds. All farmers cultivating a minimum of 0.5 hectares are eligible for farm inputs. In case of seedling (vegetables and fruits), mushroom and ornamental project, the size of the farm must be at least 0.25 hectares. This assistance will be available once a year, that is once every 12 months for a period of 3 years. The maximum ceiling is P120 000.00.
The minimum farm size for individuals and a group is 0.5 hectares and 2 hectares respectively. Individual farmers are expected to contribute 60% of the total cost of inputs while a group is expected to pay 40%. Purchasing of inputs and farm implement will be guided by the business plan.
- Citizens and non-citizens aged 18 years and above
- Applicants who have access to land (proof of ownership or leasehold). In case of leasehold, the lease period should not be less than 10 years.
- Associations, companies, partnerships or groups registered either under Agricultural Management Associations (AMA), Cooperatives, Registrar of Societies or Registrar of Companies
- Farmers who have been assisted once will not qualify for assistance within that year even if they have not exhausted the allocated funds in that particular component
- Submit the relevant supporting documents to the Agricultural Demonstrator (AD) or Extension Officer (EO)
- The AD will verify if all the necessary information is provided and if the applicant meets the eligibility criteria
- The Agricultural Demonstrator/Extension Officer will submit the application with the supporting documents to the District Crop Production Officer (DCPO)
- The application shall be appraised and the appraising team shall inform the applicant in writing about the fate of his/her application
- The applicant in turn will submit the approval letter to the supplier of production inputs or the service provider.
- If approved the farmer or a group must pay the supplier 60% and 40% of the total cost of the production inputs and the Government pays the other 40 % and 60% respectively.
- If the applicant is aggrieved about the decision of the appraising team on his or her application , he or she shall make an appeal to the office of the Director of Crop Production within 30 days of receiving the response letter from the DCPO
- Certified copy of valid National Identity Card (Omang).
- Land Board Certificate, lease or title deed. In case of lease, the lease period should not be less than 10 years.
- Business plan
- Prove of established and reliable water source (e.g the borehole must yield at least 2.5m³/hour to be able to irrigate half a hectare)
- For associations, companies, partnerships or groups registered prove of registration either under Agricultural Management Associations (AMA), Cooperatives, Registrar of Societies or Registrar of Companies.
- Three (3) months.
- Individual farmers pays 60% of the cost of production inputs
- Groups pay 40% of the cost of production inputs.
- Contributions in kind are not accepted and all contributions must be in cash
The nearest District Crop Production Offices
Department of Crop Production
Ministry of Agricultural Development and Food Security Headquarters
Plot 4701 Mmaraka Road
Private Bag 00435
Tel. (+267) 3689305
Email. moa17755 [at] gov.bw
Opening hours: 07:30 to 12:45 then 13:45 to 16:30, Monday to Friday except, public holidays.