The President of Botswana may order for registration of a foreign national as a citizen of Botswana on the grounds of special considerations.
A person not otherwise entitled to or eligible for citizenship of Botswana, to whom special circumstances exist which in the opinion of the President warrant such registration.
In order to access this service, applicants must complete the following steps.
- Complete and submit Form I along with required documents and fees listed below.
- Acknowledgement letter will be given to the applicant.
- Check the status of your application at any Immigration and Citizenship Office
- If your application is successful, letters requesting you to renounce your foreign citizenship will be sent to you by post.
- You will be issued with a Registration Certificate after you have renounced your foreign citizenship.
- If your application is rejected a rejection letter will be sent to you by post. You can re-apply if you wish. (there is no time restriction for re-submission).
- Two passport size coloured photos.
- Certified copy of valid passport.
- Certified copy of valid residence permit, exemption certificate, or permanent residence permit.
- Letter explaining your special circumstances addressed to His Excellency the President. (attach supporting documents)
- Set of Police report forms.
- Certified copy of birth certificate or affidavit in lieu of birth certificate.
Those operating businesses in Botswana should also state:
- Name of business.
- Location of business.
- Type of service or goods provided.
- Number of employees hired.
- Number and type of shares held.
- Value of property owned or copy of lease agreement.
- Type of trading license held.
- Purpose of stay in Botswana.
- Citizenship status of immediate family members.
Approximately one year.
The service costs BWP500.00.
All Regional Immigration Offices, District Immigration Offices and Missions Abroad.
Department of Immigration and Citizenship
Ministry of Nationality, Immigration and Gender Affairs
Tel. (+267) 361 1300
Toll Free. 0800 600 777
Opening hours: 7:30 to 12:45, and 13:45 to 16:30, Monday to Friday, except public holidays.