People who have settled in Botswana immediately before 30 September 1966 and meet the eligibility requirements can apply for citizenship in Botswana.
All foreign nationals who have settled in Botswana immediately before 30 September 1966 and have lived as members or been customarily accepted as members of a particular tribe or community.
In order to access this service, applicants must complete the following steps.
- Complete and Submit Form A “Declaration concerning citizenship of Botswana by Settlement” along with required documents and fees listed below.
- After the application is received, the office will send a letter to the applicant notifying him/her of the outcome
- The applicant is then required to go to the office where the application was lodged to collect a Certificate of registration by Settlement.
- Take oath of allegiance and complete personal declaration forms
- Certificate of settlement will be issued to the applicant after taking oath
- Two witnesses and copies of their identity documents (Botswana citizens)
- Two coloured passport sized photos.
- Certified copy of valid birth certificate or affidavit in lieu of birth certificate.
- Personal declaration to establish nationality (Form obtained from Immigration Offices).
- Certified copy of valid residence permits if available.
- Proof that the applicant has been in Botswana for such a period (i.e. letter from tribal authority).
Approximately one month.
The cost is BWP200.00
All Regional Immigration Offices, District Immigration Offices and Missions Abroad.
Department of Immigration and Citizenship
Ministry of Nationality, Immigration and Gender Affairs
Tel. (+267) 361 1300
Toll Free. 0800 600 777
Opening hours: 7:30 to 12:45, and 13:45 to 16:30, Monday to Friday, except public holidays