The government is committed to assuring the well-being of all Batswana, including the less privileged. It is intended for citizens who cannot support themselves financially, once they are assessed as temporarily or permanently destitute.
Destitute persons are those whose monthly income does not exceed BWP120.00 (without dependants) or BWP150.00 (with dependants).
Who is eligible?
How do I get this service?
- Download and complete the Registration of Beneficiary Form, and submit to the Social and Community Development Officer at the Department of Social Services and Community Development or Botswana Post Office closest to you.
- This may be done in person by the actual person to be considered as destitute, on or behalf of that person by anyone familiar with the person's situation.
- The Social and Community Development Officer would capture any additional necessary information at the time of the meeting, and subsequently conduct the necessary research and investigations into the financial situation of the person in question.
- Once this is completed and a decision is made, the person in question would be contacted and advised of the outcome.
What supporting documents are required?
Applicants must submit proof of Botswana nationality at the time of application by way of:
- A certified copy of valid National Identification Card (Omang).
- Birth certificate (Dependants)
How long will this service take?
One (1) month.
Where can I get more information on this Service
- Contact any of the Botswana Post offices or the Department of Social Protection office.
- Opening hour: - 07:30 to 16:30, Monday to Friday, except public holidays.
Ministry of Local Government & Rural Development
Department of Social Protection
Private Bag 0097
Tel. (+267) 397-1916
Fax. (+267) 397-1866